News & Events

Caranua Board minutes 31 May 2016

These are the Board minutes from 31 May 2016

We are happy to publish the minutes of our Board meetings so that Board activities and decisions are accountable. There is always a delay between the meeting held and the publication of the minutes.  This is because the minutes must be approved before they can be published.  Minutes are approved at the meeting after the meeting they are a record off.  For example, if a Board meeting is held in March and the next meeting is held in April, the minutes of the March meeting will not be on the website until after the April meeting. 


David O’Callaghan, David Lane, Tom Daly, Austin Currie, Rosemary Adaser, Frances Harrington, Katherine Finn, Phyllis Morgan


Damian Casey 

In attendance:            

Mary Higgins, Siobhán Kane, Lucy Kenny




Discussion Decision/


1. Minutes



The minutes of the meeting held on 22nd April were approved, subject to changing the word “unscheduled” to “additional”.  Proposed by David Lane and seconded by Rosemary Adaser. Approved


2. Report on action points arising from last meeting, not on agenda


(a) The DES have confirmed that cannot underwrite the cost of rental and the Board requested a detailed business case for alternative premises to be prepared.  The Board is not supportive of a move now but would be happy to spend something on doing up the current space.  

(b) Recruitment complete for the Directors of Finance and Services.

(c) The MOU with SEAI has yet to be received.

3. Report on applications The report was noted by the Board


Report noted  


4.  CEO report, including update on new arrangements   The report was considered by the Board and in particular the progress made in finalising materials and other matters to ensure the smooth implementation of the new arrangements. Report noted  
4. Report on applications The content of the report to the end of March was noted, with the additions as agreed at the last meeting. The CEO reiterated the deficit in data management and analysis on the staff. 

The report on cheque cancellations was noted by the Board. 

Report noted


5. Presentation from the HSE on possible pilot project Representatives from the HSE made a presentation on their proposal for a partnership arrangement with Caranua to provide assessment and support services to applicants in that area.  


CEO to ask HSE for more detailed proposal and costings for further consideration.  

Next meeting

6. Presentation on governance  Capita made a presentation on governance to the Board and it was agreed that these issues will be kept on the Board agenda. Governance issues to be kept on Board agenda.  


7.  Strategic Plan



Representatives of Mazars facilitated a session of the Board and CEO on strategy and the development of a strategic plan.  Arising from this, a draft plan will be presented at the next Board meeting for approval.


Draft plan to be presented for approval to next Board meeting.  Next Board meeting.
8.  A.O.B.  (a)  It was agreed that Tom Daly will write a letter of thanks to the Deputy Lord Mayor for his hospitality during the Cork Outreach Event.

(b) The Annual Report as circulated was agreed.

(c) The legal advice on funeral costs to be sent to the Board

(d) It was clarified again that where correspondence is received for the attention of the Board that concerns an individual application, that this is dealt with by the executive.

Tom to write to Deputy Lord Mayor on behalf of Board


Advice on funeral cots to be provided to the Board







9.  Next meeting  The next meeting will be held on 26th July next.