Caranua hosted an event on Saturday 9th May in Birmingham that provided information on support services available for survivors of Irish institutional abuse
Approximately 140 survivors attended, and it was a very positive day. The following is an example of the feedback we have received about the event:
“Thank you for the opportunity to be able to meet face to face Caranua group members on the 9th of May 2015 held at the Jury inn Hotel in Birmingham.
“There was so many groups there to help the Irish Survivors of Abuse. To get help in applying for support for Tracing Family from Barnardos, Housing, Birmingham and London Irish groups support, and other groups all very helpful.
“It gave me more of an idea what Caranua is all about. Thank you Mary Higgins and support groups for coming to the UK. it was well organised and everybody was helpful”
The following organisations, based in both Ireland and the UK, took part:
- Caranua – www.caranua.ie
- Barnardos Origins Tracing Service – www.barnardos.ie/what-we-do/our-services/specialist-services/origins-tracing-service.html
- icap – www.icap.org.uk/
- Towards Healing – www.towardshealing.ie/
- Compassion Matters with the Health Alliance – Specialism: Compassion Focussed; Psychology and Health Advocacy. Professional and Personal Well-being Coaching. Contact Carole on 07941 347039
- Birmingham Irish Association – www.birminghamirish.org.uk/
- Irish in Britain – www.irishinbritain.org/
- Connect Counselling – www.connectcounselling.ie/
- Coventry Irish Society – www.coventryirishsociety.co.uk
- Whispering Hope Centre – iwssn.org.uk/whispering-hope-centre/
This was the first time we have done an event like this, but given how positive it was, we hope to do more in the future. We will give a few weeks notice before any future events and information will be posted on this website!